The Snowden reports claim that India is the most scrutinized country as far as the hackers are concerned. This makes it very important for India to strengthen its systems such that it becomes non penetrable and reduces the risks of attacks and cyber crimes. The Government definitely aims at designing and introducing the Bharat operating System Solutions such that an independent and uniform Operating System could be implemented in the country. Chinese hackers have made subsequent attempts to hack on the Indian Security websites such that they infiltrate the confidential information. China on its own has also taken a step towards developing its own national operating system which may even end up replacing Windows in the near Future.
C-DAC AND BOSS
A highly designed version of the BOSS is to be unveiled by C-DAC in India and it will also emphasize the importance of the application of this software and operating system such that high security breaches are totally eliminated.
While this was a well-planned initiative, it has not been made to the best of its capabilities due to lack of proactive initiatives and funding. It has just been able to make the BOSS version which still lacks the security protocols and is not as user friendly as Windows.
CODE NAMED ANOKHA
This is the latest version of the BOSS Linux Version and is coupled effectively with the GNOME Desktopversion 3.4. Some of the specifications to consider are:
- Version 5.0 has been released
- Support for all Indian languages and packages pertaining to the government usage
- Security gates and prevention against pitfalls
- Intel 32 bit Architecture and kernel 3.10
- Presence and compatibility of a graphics Installer
- File sharing and file converting options
- Orca Screen reader and magnifier that allows the people with visual impairments to satisfactorily use the desktop.
There have been some major Changes that have been made in this operating system. It now takes lesser time to be installed and uses the Debian live Install mechanism. A file system upgrade from EXT 3 to EXT 4 also enhances the user effectiveness of this OS. It has also been enhanced with the Software speech installation and extended hardware support. There is also the newer and better IPV configuration support that runs during the installation.
Highly updates and improved there is better scope of the BOSS OS in India, which has been made necessary with international intelligence trying to breach the security stem of the country. It may still not be at par or better than the various other OS, it is definitely in line with all the latest technologies and threats associated with OS.
RECENT UPDATES AND UPGRADES FROM THE SAVIR VERSION
- X. Org 7.5 has been changes to version 7.7
- Shift from GNOME desktop from existing 2.30.2 to 3.4.2
- Office updated from open Office to Liber office solutions
- IceWeasel browser version from 3.6 to 23.0
- Icedove 3.0.7 to 3.4.3
- Totem player is not VLC 2.0.3
- Photo manager is now updated Shotwell from Fspot