Whether you are a webmaster, entrepreneur, or a developer, it will be good to know about different phases of website designs and development process.
With the growing dependence of people on computers and Internet, it has become absolutely necessary for all commercial enterprises, large and small to have a well designed website. Also it is important for you to have the basic idea about different phases of web designing as it involves multiple phases.
Website Design Phases
While the design will vary with designers as well as the varying requirements of the webmasters or entrepreneurs, the basic design phases are as follows.
- Collection of information.
- Planning the web design aspects.
- Actual designing of the website.
- Developing the site through deficiency mitigation.
- Testing and final delivery of the website.
- Post uploading maintenance of the site.
Information Collection Phase
It is well said that “information is knowledge, and knowledge is power”. Since numerous aspects need to be considered in designing an effective website, collection of information is essential for the developer or designer. This phase involves the following.
- Gathering internal information about the company like what it does and promotes and who the target audiences are.
- Once the goal is assessed, the next step is finding out how the website can help achieve the objectives and what the weaker points are that need to be addressed while designing.
- This phase will help the developer take informed decision about the requirements of the website.
A fine balancing of purpose, goals, target audience requirements, and contents is what the designer will aim to create on the basis of the information gathered. In this phase the designer usually develops the site map that contains the list of all topics and sub-topics dealt on the entire site. Planning is extremely essential for creating a site that will be –
- Attractive for the viewers;
- Relevant for the search engine robots;
- Provides extremely relevant contents; and
- Is easy to navigate.
While designing the website the developer will take into consideration the search engine and directory relevance. Even more important is that the site is preferred by the end users; the target audience. Designing will largely depend on the target audience. For instance; educational websites will be different from entertainment or gaming websites in design. Usually a prototype is created before final design is made.
In this phase the actual and functional website is created. Usually the home page is created first and links are provided to each of the subsequent pages created for the site on it in form of shells. Contents are distributed across the site accordingly. Two things are extremely important in this phase; the front end web development as well as involvement of the owner from inception through the progress till logical end.
Testing and Delivery Phase
After final design of the site is complete it is important testing it so that any existing deficiency can be done away with. One of the important aspects of testing is examining the compatibility issues and navigational problems. Designer ensures that the site developed is compatible to all the major web browsers on the web. After the final design is approved, the site will be delivered for use.
This is the final phase of the web designing. It is not enough to just create and upload the website; it is also necessary maintaining and updating it regularly.
This final phase is extremely important as it can save the website from going stale and disappearing into oblivion.